Are you planning to start a career in Web designing? Don’t know where to start and how to start? Then, you’ve reached the right place. Reading this article, you will learn 8 easy steps that help you get started as a web designer.
- In today’s internet world, web designing is the fastest-growing career. According to U.S. BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS, it is predicted that the Employment of web designers is projected to grow 13 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations.
- So, if you have a better understanding and skills in web designing such as Flash and Photoshop, you will have the best opportunities.
- However, as a beginner, don’t know where and how to start? In this article, you will learn the 8 Easy Steps that help you to Plan a Successful Career in Web Designing.
But, before diving into the 8 steps to starting a career in web designing. First, understand who is a web designer and your importance to a company.
A web designer is a professional who converts a brand into an online experience and often works with a team of other professionals, including information architects, UX (user experience) experts, marketing team members, sales staff, and more.
Further, a web designer not only thinks about the font & color of the website but also the overall website functionality like content, images, speed, structure, and responsiveness.
Thus, design an innovative and attractive website in a well-structured manner that contains all the information about the company.
On the whole, web designers are the one who indirectly communicates with the visitors and makes them enjoy the site completely through their design.
Hence, having a good website design, a company can
- Increase Valuable Traffic
- Boost Organic Search Traffic
- Improve Local SEO Ranking
- Increase Mobile Search Rankings
- Decrease Bounce Rate
- Get the Right Kind of Attention
- Increase conversions
- Increase User Experience
Now, I hope you understood how important you are to a company. So, without delay, let’s know what are those 8 steps to start a career in web designing.
8 Steps to Start a Career in Web Designing:
Below are the eight steps that help you to plan a successful career in Web designing
- Research about the field.
- Learn the Fundamental principles
- Learn from top resources
- Learn from best Web Designing Institute
- Practice, practice, practice!
- Do some freelancing Projects
- Create attractive resumes
- Hunt for Jobs
1. Research About the Field:
Before getting started into the area of web design and development field, you must understand what’s your interest in the field of web design.
It is a big and multifarious industry. It includes UI design, UX design, Magento development, WordPress development, and so on.
Therefore, it’s imperative to decide which specific niches you may want to work on.
So, do thorough research about the field and select an area that you’re interested in. To do so, you can:
- Read a few of the best web design & web development books recommended by the web design pros.
- Frequently visit your favorite e-commerce websites and observe how it is designed beautifully to attract the audience.
- Next, start to practice how to inspect the code on website pages. Here, you’ll need to identify how they work and develop the website.
2. Learn the Fundamentals Principles:
Same like other industry, web design, and development industry also has some fundamental principles that form an essential base of the field.
Knowing this will provide you the basic knowledge of the field on how to design unique web pages instead of duplicating other’s work.
Furthermore, it also enhances the quality of your decisions and allows you to convey with authority to prospective customers.
However, in a period of time, you can’t meet all the aspects of web design and development principles. It requires some experience. Therefore, here are some of the best jumping-off elements to get you started:
The main things to consider for a stunning website experience are…
- Fast – It reacts immediately to user interactions with silky soft animations and no poor scrolling experience.
- Integration – The audience doesn’t want to interact through the web browser, it uses the full functionality of the device to create an experience right to the device.
- Reliability – Load fastly and reliably, don’t show the down sour, also in unsure network conditions.
- Engaging – Keeps the user bounce back to the application with attractively designed experiences that look natural.
3. Learn from Top Resources:
As I said earlier web design is a big and hilarious sector. It has a challenging task and new techniques to implement on each day. Why not? Even an experienced web designer also sometimes has trouble completing the job that satisfies the client’s needs.
However, you don’t want to worry, the other step to do a successful career in web designing, you can learn from the top resources available from the internet.
When you browse through the internet, you get plenty of resources that help you to learn web designing – some may be free; some paid; some flexible, some not; some based on content, others on video.
Thus, you have a bunch of resources to get benefitted. Besides, to ease things up, we’ve gathered a few of the best web design learning resources on the internet.
All that cover a wide range of topics including a variety of levels, from beginner to advanced.
Below are some of the best web designing learning online resources:
- Opera Web Standard Curriculum
- Google Code University
- Tutorials Point
- Mozilla School of Webcraft
4. Learn from the Best Web Designing Institute:
If you think you need practical knowledge from the professionals rather than learning on your own to start a career in web designing. There are many web designing institutes located in your area that provides practical knowledge and boosts your skills in web designing from day one.
Further, if you’re located in Chennai, you are so luckier. Web designing courses in Chennai are taught by the best industry professionals.
Here you will learn,
- Introduction to website
- Basic understanding of the web fundamentals
- Types of websites
- Introduction to Dreamweaver PHP
- Using Dreamweaver templates
- Adding content and multimedia and so on.
Don’t worry, if you’re not located at Chennai to leverage the practical session. You just only need the passion to learn web designing, if you have, then you can opt to web designing online training.
Online web designing training will also help you to interact with the industry professionals and solve all your doubts on the same go without any hesitation.
So, what are you waiting for? Ping the best web designing institute near your location and start learning step by step to become a professional in web designing.
5. Practice, Practice, Practice!
As the proverb goes “Practice makes the man perfect”. Therefore, just learning alone will not pave you a way to start a career in web designing.
Start practicing what you’ve learned. It will also help in boosting your skills and make you an expert in web designing.
But before you start coding or practicing, you’ll first want to decide which text editor are you going to use.
You must also install all of the familiar web browsers like Google Chrome, Opera, Firefox, IE, Safari, as they can help you design and develop a stunning website by keeping the wide range of users in mind.
Here are the five such familiar online text editors tools, you can practice web designing projects
6. Do Some Freelancing Projects:
The best way to showcase some of your good work portfolios to the employer is to do some freelancing projects on the side.
It gives you the opportunity to showcase the employer that you’re the right candidate among others to hire.
At the same time, you just starting out a career in web designing, your freelancing project doesn’t want to be big ones. Rather, you can prove you’re the right candidate and you have the ability to accomplish the everyday tasks by showcasing some small projects done.
For instance: You can re-do the simple website for a local business or you can create a newsletter for a little charity organization.
Below are some of the freelancing websites that you can use to pitch for freelancing projects.
7. Create Attractive Resumes:
The next challenge to start your career in web designing is to have an outstanding resume. It is what showcases who you are to your hiring manager and convinces them to hire you.
So, make sure you create an attractive resume that stands out from dozens, possibly hundreds, of other applicants.
Below are some of the things that you want to pay close attention to while creating a web designer resume.
- Web Designer Keywords: For this, you can collect important keywords from the company job description and optimize your resumé accordingly. For instance: You may include Design Thinking, willing to travel, amazing user experiences, superior user interface design skills, and up-to-date latest web design trends, and so on.
Next comes is your cover letter. Before writing it, take some time to research the company, notice any trends in the projects they work on or even problem areas. Then, include those observations in your cover letter and explain why you’re applying for the specific company to start your career as a web designer
Further, consider mentioning a personal experience you’ve had with the company, too. The more original, the better.
8. Hunt for Jobs
Now everything is set to go. You have your own portfolio, skills, and knowledge of web designing. So, start applying for the web designer jobs that you’re interested in.
As you’re a beginner in the field, look for jobs that don’t require too much experience. However, if you have the relevant skills that the company describes in the job description, then don’t be afraid to apply for it.
There are plenty of job portals to look for web developer jobs. Some of the most popular online portals include:
- Authentic Jobs
- Smashing Jobs
Despite the internet, the opportunity may be lurking in the offline world too. So, don’t be shy about asking your friends or industry contacts if they know of anyone hiring.
As I told you all the steps mentioned above seem to be a mammoth task. But it really not so.
“Slow and steady wins the race”. Therefore, just be passionate and practice in a daily manner to start a successful career in web designing.